Monday, January 17, 2011

Vegetable Curry Pie

This is just the first time I've made this so there going to be tweaks to come I am sure.

We had a wonderful meal with my youngest step brother and his family just after Christmas. They served this amazing Vegetable Curry Pie that they had picked up from a place near their house in Alymer, Quebec. I have been wanting it again since then. So with no idea what was in it except veggies and curry, and with me still cleansing my brains out, I decided to make a Vegan, Sugar Free, Wheat Free, pie. I'll be honest the measurements for the spices are guesses since I just added stuff to a small bowl and now I am trying to remember how much there was. Also I think some of the spices could have been more so I have compensated for that here. I apologize if it's too much but I really don't think it will be.

It was quite yummy. This recipe comes in two parts since the first challenge was to make a sugar, wheat, animal product free pie crust. The crust recipe is here.


INGREDIENTS:

1 carrot
1 sweet potato
1 onion
1 stalk of celery
1 potato
10 cherry tomatoes - halfed
1/2 cup peas*
6 coriander seeds
2 cloves
2 cardamom pods
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mustard powder
4 tbsp soy cream cheese (I use Tofutti)


DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400˚

Cut the first 5 vegetables into small / thin pieces. (Sliced or cubed, it's up to you, just changes the look of the finished pie.) Place them in a Ziploc bag as well as the tomatoes.

Grind the cloves, cardamom pods and coriander seed in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.

Add all of the spices together and add them to the Ziploc bag. Give the bag a good shake to coat the veggies.

Pour the veggie mix into an unbaked rice flour pie crust (or any other pie crust).

heat the cream cheese for a minute on 5 in the microwave and pour / spread it over the top of the veggies.

Top with a second crust and seal around the edges. resist the urge to cut vents in the top. You need all the steam to stay inside to cook all the veggies.

Bake for 45 minutes. If the crust looks like it is browning too quickly cover with foil or reduce the temp and increase the time.

Eat . . . I wanted to have it with a nice leafy green salad but I didn't have the stuff so we had bean salad instead.


*I didn't put peas in this time but I will next time. I also think parsnips, squash, and mushrooms would be yummy in the pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment