Sunday, March 28, 2010

Lentil Stew


I'll be honest, I wasn't so sure how this one would go. Especially with the kids. They ate it and I really liked it.

Making this with Tamari instead of Shoyu or Soya Sauce will make this gluten free as well.

YIELD: 6 servings


INGREDIENTS:

1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Basil
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Cloves Chopped Garlic
2 Large Chopped Onions
2 Diced Celery Stalks
1 Sliced Carrot
1 (Scrubbed, not peeled) Cubed Potato
1 Chopped Bell Pepper
1/4 cup Shoyu (or Soya Sauce / Tamari)
5 cups Vegetable Broth
3 Chopped Tomatoes
1 1/2 cups lentils (I used green, recipe called for brown, I say use what you've got. I also soaked them for the day - put them in water before I left for the day and then made the stew when I got home approximately 6 hours.)


DIRECTIONS:

Combine first 6 ingredients (Seasonings) in a small (tiny) bowl

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.

Add garlic, Onion, celery, carrot, pepper, and potato. Stir in 1/2 the seasoning mixture and Shoyu. Cook, stirring frequently for 7 minutes or till onions are tender.

Add broth, tomatoes and lentils. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer with the lid askew for 30 minutes.

Add remaining seasoning and simmer for additional 20 minutes (lid askew or off depending on how think you'd like your stew.

So good. I suggest serving it with thickly sliced home made (read Bread Machine) bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment